Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Worst Doctor's Appointment Ever

I've never had a problem with Preston's pediatrician before, but today about made me sick. They tested him for Lead today as a precaution since his sitter's house is built before 1960. I thought they'd just take a prick of blood from his finger. No! They came in with two small vials and a finger pricker. They actually pricked his finger and forced blood out and scrapped it into the vials!! I was so upset! I could hear the plastic rubbing on his fingers, grinding his skin away. After 5 minutes she had nothing more than a drop of blood in the first one. I was furious. Preston was clearly in pain. His hand was covered in blood and the nurse's gloves were too. Is this really the only way to get blood?! More of it was on their hands than in the vial! It took almost half an hour and she got less than 250ml each. I'm sure his finger is sore. After they finished she cleaned up the blood on his hand and you could see where they skin was ripped off his finger. It made me so mad. I don't ever want to do that again and will  not put him through that kind of pain again. If they need that much blood, they can use a needle. 

4 comments:

  1. I would be upset about that too. That seems pretty unreasonable, and unnecessary. When Bug had her blood tested, I remember thinking they needed an awful lot, BUT they didn't do all the scarping, and it didn't take that long. If Preston's blood wasn't flowing, they should have let it be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor little man. When they tested Allie, they did a syringe in the arm and took blood. It took all of 30 seconds and she was done. I would call the doctors and mention how upset you ar with the way the procedure was performed that way it doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I have never seen them do it like that. I am so sorry. What a cute guy. Love your blog, just came across it. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete